Finding the best greenhouse for your backyard is challenging, but once you’ve picked your model (or are about to), there’s another big decision to make: where to place it?
Did you already pick the perfect spot?
If you haven’t yet, this blog post was designed for you.
Today we’ll walk you through a checklist with 8 conditions to consider before positioning a greenhouse in your backyard.
Sunlight is the first factor you must consider carefully if you want to grow year-round.
- Less light will slow down your plants’ growth process.
- You’ll harvest less and low-quality produce.
To make the most of light in the middle of freezing weather, make the ridge of the roof run east-west. It will help your greenhouse heat more efficiently.
But if your location isn’t too cold during the winter or you’re planning on using your greenhouse only during the spring and the summer, place the ridge north-south to leverage an equal amount of light and avoid overheating.
If the light source isn’t enough in your backyard, you might need to include an artificial lighting accessory.
2. Tall trees or other big structures
Are there structures surrounding your greenhouse area? Big trees, a house, or a big wall?
These elements could block the sunlight or even fall over your greenhouse in the middle of a blizzard, damaging your structure and potentially cracking its panels.
If your area has any of these high elements, ensure the greenhouse is placed at a considerable distance so it won’t affect its productivity or cause any accidents.
3. Level the ground
Before installing your greenhouse, ensure the ground is leveled.
Placing your greenhouse on a slope could:
- Unbalance the internal set-up.
- Challenge insulation.
- Implicate drainage.
Your greenhouse’s stability will be vital to prolonging its life and enjoying its results for years. So make sure to level the ground and build a strong base to provide solid support.
4. Accessibility and utilities
Your set-up may change throughout the years, or you will want to include extra accessories from time to time, so make sure the greenhouse is accessible enough for anyone using it.
It’s also recommended to place the greenhouse near power and water sources to make your gardening experience easier and more practical.
5. Leave room for possible expansion
Leaving free space around your greenhouse will be good for air circulation and make room in case you decide to add new expansions.
It has been the case for many gardeners after seeing the success of their original structure. It’s always a good idea to be prepared with a wide area to grow when the time comes.
This extra space will also be helpful in case you need to replace a panel or add external layers to cover the walls and provide additional heat.
6. Rain, snow and wind load
Is the climate in your area prone to blizzards and storms? Do you get strong winds and heavy snow loads?
All these questions need to be answered to understand what your greenhouse structure will face. If the average wind load in your area is high, it’ll be necessary to have enough space around your greenhouse to make snow removal and accessibility easier.
If the rain and snow load is also high, avoid positioning your greenhouse at the bottom of a hill and find a spot with good drainage.
Position your greenhouse cleverly
Positioning your greenhouse in the right place can help maximize sunlight exposure and optimize growth for your plants. Among other benefits, like:
- Reducing the amount of wind damage to your plants.
- Minimizing the amount of energy needed to heat it.
- Avoid getting too much shade over your plants.
Are you ready to pick your greenhouse? Get in touch with us today and let us assist you in choosing the greenhouse that is perfect for you!
Why Nova Greenhouses?
- We handpick high-quality greenhouses from the best brands in the world.
- Our team works hard to find extraordinary backyard greenhouses at reasonable price points.
- We exclusively source premium products made from the finest materials.
- Our team tests every greenhouse to guarantee strength & durability.
- We have a vast shipping network that reaches every corner of Canada & the USA.
- Our top-rated customer care team is available 7-days a week to answer any questions.